Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mini Meatballs

Mini Meatballs
Camille P.

This recipe comes from our freezer meal activity. I love to have a huge Ziploc bag of these in my freezer. There are so many different ways to serve these meatballs. We like spaghetti and meatballs, meatball subs, sweet and sour meatballs over rice, BBQ meatballs over rice, Meatball Stew and rolls, or even Swedish Meatballs in a creamy sauce over pasta. The meatballs are fully cooked, so to serve all they need is a minute or two in the microwave.

3 lbs ground beef or turkey
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp. garlic salt
3 eggs
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 pkt. onion soup mix
2 of any of the following veggies, minced or finely chopped, 1/2 cup: carrot, zucchini, spinach, green pepper, mushrooms

Combine all the ingredients and stir until smooth. Shape into 1 inch meatballs. Line pan with foil and arrange meatballs. Bake at 400* for 20 minutes. Makes 80 mini meatballs.

To freeze: After the meatballs cool you need to flash freeze them. This freezes each one individually so you don't end up with a giant glob of meatballs stuck together. Sometimes you only need 7-10 from the bag for dinner. Arrange the meatballs flat on cookie sheet and put in your freezer for about 2 hours. Then, put them in your ziploc bag for storage.

To reheat: I just put them in a microwave safe bowl and nuke for about 1 minute. If I'm using them in spaghetti, I just add them frozen right into the sauce and let them simmer with the sauce.


Tip: The vegetables add flavor, nutrition and texture to your meatballs and I’ve found that the more invisible I make them, the less anyone notices them. I grate things like carrot and zucchini with the smallest size on my cheese grater so they blend in. Spinach I chop very fine, so it just looks like fresh herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment